IDENTITY THEFT PREVENTION TIPS
- Check your credit report(s) at least once a year at www.annualcreditreport.com
- Do not carry unnecessary personal information in your purse or wallet.
- Monitor your bank account statements regularly.
- Shred sensitive information.
- Never provide personal information to anyone who contacts you unexpectedly.
- Don’t click on links in emails from unknown senders.
- Use Internet passwords that are hard to guess and change them regularly.
- Set passcodes on your smartphones.
- If doing business online, make sure the site is secure. It should start with “https”.
- Keep your computer and security software updated.
SIGNS OF IDENTITY THEFT
- You find inaccurate personal information on your credit report.
- Bill collectors contact you about debts you do not owe.
- You are denied credit for no apparent reason.
STEPS TO TAKE IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF IDENTITY THEFT
- File a police report.
- Place a fraud alert on your credit report by contacting Equifax at 800-525-6285, Experian at 888-397-3742 and Transunion at 800-680-7289.
- Order your credit reports and contact your bank or credit provider.